We invite everyone interested in Natural Language Processing and Machine Learning to attend the 1st Athens Natural Language Processing Summer School – AthNLP 2019.
* Application Deadline: June 9, 2019
* Decision: June 17, 2019
* Early Registration: July 10, 2019
* Late Registration: August 10, 2019
* Summer School: September 18-25, 2019
AthNLP 2019 will take place at the campus of NCSR “Demokritos” in Athens and is organized jointly by the NCSR “Demokritos”, the Athens University of Economics and Business, RC “Athena”, and Heriot-Watt University. AthNLP cooperates closely with the organizers of LxMLS, building upon their success.
The school will cover a range of NLP topics focusing on machine learning (ML) methods. There will be morning lectures focusing on theoretical aspects, afternoon lab sessions focusing on implementation and experimentation, and evening talks on research topics and perspectives, as well as demos and posters from industry research labs. The lectures and the evening talks will be given by internationally recognized researchers from academic and industrial research labs. The topics to be covered include: classification, structured prediction, linear models, neural networks, encoder-decoder approaches, machine translation, information extraction, question answering and conversational agents.
Our target audience is:
* Researchers and graduate students in the fields of NLP and Computational Linguistics;
* Computer scientists who have interests in natural language processing and machine learning;
* Industry practitioners who desire a more in depth understanding of these subjects.
While previous experience with the topics will be helpful, the school assumes no previous knowledge of natural language processing and machine learning. The only background assumed is basic mathematics and Python programming.
Features of AthNLP
- Welcome reception, gala dinner, daily lunch as well as morning and afternoon coffee breaks are included in the application fee.
- Lecturers are leading researchers in machine learning and natural language processing.
- Students will be able to (optionally) show their current work in poster sessions during coffee breaks.
- In the demo day, students will be able to interact with technical companies and research institutions working in machine learning.
List of Confirmed Speakers
- Arianna Bisazza, Leiden Institute of Advanced Computer Science, Leiden University
- Xavier Carreras, dMetrics
- Yun-Nung (Vivian) Chen, Dept. of Computer Science and Information Engineering, National Taiwan University
- Ryan Cotterell, University of Cambridge
- Angeliki Lazaridou, Google Deepmind
- André F. T. Martins, Unbabel, Instituto Superior Técnico and Instituto de Telecomunicações
- Ryan McDonald, Google AI
- Barbara Plank, IT University of Copenhagen
- Vinodkumar Prabhakaran, Google
- Sebastian Riedel, Facebook AI Research and Department of Computer Science, University College London
To apply, please fill the form at http://athnlp.iit.demokritos.gr/application/.
The early and late (between parenthesis) fees are the following
- 300 EUR for students (350 EUR)
- 350 EUR for university professors or researchers at a public institute (400 EUR)
- 500 EUR for everyone else (600 EUR)
Any questions should be directed to: email@example.com
We are looking forward to your participation!
The organizers of AthNLP 2019
- Ion Androutsopoulos, Associate Professor, Department of Informatics, Athens University of Economics and Business (AUEB), Greece
- Yannis Konstas, Lecturer, School of Mathematical and Computer Sciences, Heriot Watt University, UK
- Anastasia Krithara, Associate Researcher, Institute of Informatics and Telecommunications, NCSR “Demokritos”, Greece
- Georgios Petasis, Associate Researcher, Institute of Informatics and Telecommunications, NCSR “Demokritos”, Greece
- Haris Papageorgiou, Research Director, Institute for Language and Speech Processing (ILSP), ATHENA Research & Innovation Center, Greece
- Andreas Vlachos, Senior Lecturer, Department of Computer Science and Technology, University of Cambridge, UK